Home

St M Sep 13 Ps

St Margaret’s Church, Aberlour, was designed and built in 1875 by the Scots architect Alexander Ross to provide a chapel for the children and staff of the Aberlour Orphanage.

The Orphanage was closed in 1967 and its buildings demolished. Only the clock tower and the church are left to remind thousands of ‘mitherless bairns’ of their childhood on Speyside.

The church is now in the Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness, and its congregation belongs to the Episcopal Church of Scotland. Services are held in the church every Sunday; please see the Service page on this website for further information.

Thanks to generous funding from Historic Scotland and the Heritage Lottery Fund, and with funds raised by parishioners and the local community, repairs to the building were carried out in 2012. Essential maintenance to the roof and rainwater goods has brought the building into a good state of repair, but the next requirement is to bring the building up to standards required of a public place in the 21st century.

We intend to refurbish the heating, and to modernise the vestry. It would be a great luxury to have a lavatory and a proper hot and cold water supply. If the building is to be useful for more general use by the local community, it would be good to have a more flexible space to use for entertainment, concerts and public performance.

So many churches nowadays face the challenge of keeping their buildings relevant to 21st century requirements. Our building is ‘A’ listed and is very beautiful. It is a place of pilgrimage for former orphans and their descendants. The congregation at St Margaret’s is very mindful of its responsibility to keep the building alive and useful as a small part of Great Britain’s remarkable built heritage.